Whether you are a first time home buyer or an experienced homeowner, buying a new home can be a challenge. Here’s a useful homebuyers checklist of six things you can do up front to make the process a lot easier written by an experienced Realtor.
Before you start packing, here’s what you need to do.
- Get your finances ready. Set aside a down payment, check your credit score, know what you can afford. You need a clear picture of your finances before you begin the home buying process.
- Find a Mortgage Lender. You will need to provide your financial information to them. You will also discuss what type of mortgage you will use, down payment and the amount you will be approved for. Contact us for our recommended lending partners.
- Get pre-approved. #1 above is important because you want to get pre-approved for a loan before you start shopping. This safeguard, will keep you from falling in love with something you can’t afford or can’t get a mortgage for. Contact us for our recommended lending partners.
- Make a list of needs vs. wants. Before you begin working with a Realtor, you need to make a two-column list of needs vs. wants. Be sure you know the difference! You need three bedrooms. You want a swimming pool. You need to be very upfront with your Realtor about exactly what constitutes a deal-breaker in your purchasing process. If more than one person is involved in making the final decision, be sure that you are more or less in agreement about needs and wants. If one spouse wants a short commute and the other has visions of living on land, you could have a situation. Resolve these issues ahead of time.
- Find a real estate agent. Once you’ve done your homework, it’s time to start looking. We can help you out in this area! You want to find a Realtor who represents you and puts your interests first. You want to look for someone who is committed to meeting your needs and who knows the area and price range you’re looking in. Give us a call today!
- Start shopping for your new home. Your real estate agent will guide you through this part of the process. They are your advocate. Your Realtor should be there to answer questions, take you on property tours and give you market data to keep you informed. Give us a call (941-456-1251) and we will be your advocate and advisor. If you are not in the Southwest Florida area, we have many agents we refer clients to throughout the US.
Buying a home could be one of the most important decisions you will ever make, both financially and emotionally. If you do your homework and prepare ahead, it can be a smooth process that brings joy and happiness. We are always here to answer questions and guide you on your home buying journey!